A delicious onion bhaji might sound like a lot of effort to make, but you’ll be surprised how simple this recipe is! They’re the perfect starter, canapé, or even side dish (depending on how hungry you are!)
2 onions, finely sliced
100g gram flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 green chilli, chopped
Vegetable oil for frying
- Soak the onion in cold water
- Mix together the flour and baking powder. Add the chilli powder, turmeric, chilli, and salt
- Mix in 100ml of cold water until its a thick batter
- Drain the onion and mix into the batter
- Heat a deep pan with vegetable (about 1 third full)
- To check whether the oil is hot enough, add a tiny speck of batter. If it rises to the surface and browns, the oil is ready
- Carefully lower heaped tablespoons of bhaji mixture into the pan and cook for a few mins, turning when necessarily. When they’re evenly browned and crisp, drain on kitchen pepper and season.
Top Tip: To serve as a side dish or canape, fry smaller spoonfuls of bhaji mixture.