We’ve combined our two favourite desserts: carrot halwa and carrot cake, into a delicious afternoon bake! Perfect with a cup of chai and full of aromatic spices.
200ml vegetable oil
230g soft brown sugar
220g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp almond extract
30g pistachios, roughly chopped
250g grated carrots
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamom
15g flaked almonds
Icing sugar, to serve
Butter for greasing
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
- Line a round baking tray using softened butter and a sprinkling of the plain flour. Tap the flour around the tray to ensure its lightly covered all over.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the brown sugar, vegetable oil, almond extract, and eggs.
- Sieve into the bowl the flour, bicarb, baking powder, ground cardamom, and cinnamon.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until throughly mixed – careful not to over mix.
- Add the carrot, raisins, and pistachios until evenly distributed.
- Pour the cake mixture into the tray and place in the oven to cook for 60 minutes or until the cake is cooked through and a skewer comes out clean.
- When the cake is cooled, remove from the tray and sprinkle with icing sugar and flaked almonds to serve.